Welcome to All Saints’ Church Staplehurst Kent
Friends of All Saints 2024 AGM
30th Anniversary Celebrations
The Afternoon of Sunday the 19th May
2024 marks our 30th Annual General Meeting and we are planning a special event to celebrate this anniversary with a talk and opportunity to socialize before AGM. This is a change from our normal mid week evening AGM to a Sunday afternoon to be more open for people in the community to find out about our work and hopefully be more involved.
A presentation of the work of the Friends, past, present and future will be available and we plan to have drinks and a general open church & churchyard before the AGM meeting proper.
Plans are in hand with the bell ringers to mark the occasion with a Quarter Peal and other open ringing. The first major project the Friends supported and in fact the driving force behind the formation of the Friends by the Rector at the time, the Rev. Brian Barnes and others, centered around the re hanging project when the bells were augmented from 8 to 10 with 2 new bells cast so very poignant.
More to follow as the plans are finalized, but plans are for the afternoon of Sunday the 19th of May.
All Saints’ Church Staplehurst
All Saints’ Latest News
- Notices 18th February 2024
- Notices 11th February 2024
- Notices 4th February 2024
- Staplehurst Bellringers Report February 2024
- Notices 28th January 2024
- Friends of All Saints – Brain Game 2024
- Notices 21st January 2024
- Notices 14th January 2024
- Notices 7th January 2024
- Staplehurst Bellringers Report January 2024
The Church on the hill, All Saints’ Church Staplehurst Kent, stands in the center of the village atop a hill.
The Church is at the south end of the village just a short walk off the A229, a Roman road that forms the main high street. It dates from the early part of the last Millennium; the south door has been dated to around 1050 and displays some very fine early ironwork on it.
They say that the church was built around 1100. It served the farms which evolved from dens or pasture land used by herdsmen from the area around Maidstone. It is older than the village.
The Anglo-Saxon charters mention specific dens Spilsill and Aydhurst, while the name Staplehurst was first recorded in 1226.
We have launched an appeal to restore the turret on top of the tower. Much of the stone around the Turret door is flaking and the lintel above the door is broken. The door frame has been strengthened temporarily with a secondary frame to ensure the stability of the turret, but the lintel and the stone of the jambs need to be replaced urgently.
All Saints Staplehurst wishes details of the church and its services to be listed on the Changing Attitude web site as a congregation as open and welcoming to lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender people.” See our Inclusive Church page.All Saints PCC, 4th March 2009
Church Fees and Churchyard Regulations updates can be found on our Downloads Page